- First speaker is Pieter Cleppe from Belgium, representing British think tank Open Europe in Brussels. Open Europe’s goal is to turn the EU into platform for open trade rather than a Super State.
- If you wonder, “Is the European Union wasteful?,” you can ask the EU itself. For 20 years in a row EU auditors have refused to sign-off on their budgets. But those in European Parliament don’t care and always vote for more spending. Continue reading Budapest Panel at 2015 Free Market Roadshow
- Democracy is meant to be choosing someone you trust to be a good person, not someone you trust to give you special privileges.
- Australia can learn from flat tax.
- Welfare and unemployment are growth areas in Australia.
- Impressed with Barbara Kolm’s roadshow, but what can we as citizens do?
- Our politicians don’t understand economics.
- We can’t predict which Party a good politician will be a member of.
- Plug for Mannkal’s Project Western Australia.
- Be ready to fire intellectual bullets whenever you have the opportunity.
Larry Reed talks about his journey to liberty. From The Sound of Music, to Czechoslovakia, to Young Americans for Freedom (YAF) in Pittsburgh as a 14-year-old. The message on joining YAF was: “If you want to be an anti-Communist, it’s not enough simply to oppose tanks in the streets; you have to know your philosophy, you have to know your economics.” Talks about what a great speaker Hans Sennholz was. Larry recalls how, with Murray Rothbard’s help, he questioned his university economics lecturer’s Keynesian business cycle theory, by asking these three questions that a theory of the business cycle has to explain:
- That an inflation of money and credit precedes the bust.
- Fluctuation in capital goods industries are much greater than in consumer goods industries.
- The cluster of entrepreneurial errors.
Interviewed in Hong Kong, September 6, 2014.
Interviewed in Maidan Square, Kiev, Ukraine on May 28, 2014.
The second half of the video, from the jump cut at about 12:30, is Curt Doolittle talking about his distinctive political philosophy. Doolittle’s neologisms: propertarianism, aristocratic liberty.
Yaroslav Kucher, assistant to city mayor of Kiev. Main speaker from the big stage during the Ukrainian Revolution.
Ron Manners talks with Linda Whetstone, who so many other young people go to for information and advice. Sussex, UK, May 26, 2014.
- One of the many organisations discussed in the video is the Network for a Free Society.
- At about 20 minutes in, the interview then cuts to Ron’s recording of Linda Whetstone’s October 2011 Istanbul workshop, “Spreading the word of democracy and freedom.” The speech covers founding and running think tanks and more.
- At about 30 minutes in, is back to 2014 Ron exploring Linda’s property I think. Lots of horses.